My old Y is no longer. Can’t quite believe that two of my most beloved sports clubs are gone within a month of each other. I grew up in this place. Learned how to swim. Do somersaults and round-offs. And swung my first squash racquet. I happened to drive by it about a week ago while visiting my mom, on the way to play squash in the new state-of-the-art YMCA on the other side of town. Didn’t know it was slated for the wrecking ball, or I would’ve stopped and taken a moment to thank it for all those happy, sweaty, chlorine scented years. The Marblehead-Swampscott YMCA was 100 years old last year: 1910-2010. Here’s the story and some sad demolition photos (squash court in right of photo) in my hometown newspaper…. Goodbye Y.
Top Posts & Pages
- Follow @squeakyfeet
copyright notice© Tracy J. Gates and Squeakyfeet, 2010-2016. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Tracy J. Gates and Squeakyfeet with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
- Breaking the rules of the Maah Daah Hey: how Not to mountain bike the Badlands
- When a road beckons… A summer of biking and books
- Last Women Standing: A Sobhy & El Sherbini Shoot Out
- Rooting for Sobhy & Wishing Age Didn’t Matter Much
- Another ToC Stunner: Gohar Downs Massaro
- Downton Abbey Blues: How to miss the best squash at ToC
- Big City, Bright Squash Lights – ToC 2016 Begins
- Penguins Know How to Party: An Ode to Howe Cup in Boston
- What Do Greek Olives Taste Like? Revelations in the Peloponnese
- What’s better than the best burger in NYC? Victory at the ToC!
- Who’s Afraid of a Five Game Match?? Not the Women.
- A Night of Frustration, Exhaustion, Surprise, and Predictability
- Nicol and Raneem’s Excellent Adventure Story
- A Night of New York Women…and Squash
- It’s a Good Day in the Badlands . . . if you can keep your bike upright
- The Here and Now: a little skiing/squash zen
- Snow, Beer, Nick Matthew & Amr: An Evening at the ToC
- Louder than Lions – Howe Cup Roars with Women
- A very good, bad day : cycling through the Olympic decision
- Every Night Eat Ice Cream: Charlie Johnson Brings Refreshing Advice to CityView
- Doubles for Mere Mortals: A Weekend at the U.S. Century Championships
- Facing Obama Arms & other Take-aways from the Tournament of Champions
- thinking twice: seven days on $33.29
- This City Smells : eating on $5 a day
- SNAP is not a game
- A Woman at the Fights
- Daily Squash Man
- one small step for lance
- Learning to Fall
- Fathers and Daughters, Mothers and Sons
- I am an Am, Sam I am: Amateur Adventures at the WDSA Turner Cup
- Could a Fashion Model Play Squash? Get Real.
- Get Out While You Can!
- No Slouching for El Sherbini at the Tournament of Champions
- Curly Hair Makes You a Better Squash Player – and other things learned at the ToC
- A Semi for the History Books: Big Upset at Briggs Cup!
- My Irene Triathlon: NYC to NE to the Catskills
- “Immersed in the everyday. Full tilt.”
- Master and Professor
- Flip Flop Squash
- Goodbye Y
- Obsession, Addiction, and reading a book about both
- 2000 miles of water: crossing the Atlantic by catamaran